Dental composite fillings are a popular and effective solution for repairing decayed or damaged teeth. Unlike traditional amalgam (silver) fillings, composite fillings are made from a tooth-colored material that blends in with the natural color of your teeth. In this article, we'll explore the benefits of composite fillings and why they may be the right choice for you.
What are dental composite fillings?
Composite fillings are made from a mixture of plastic and glass materials that are used to fill cavities and repair damage to teeth. The composite material is matched to the color of your teeth, creating a natural-looking result that blends in with the surrounding teeth.
The composite filling procedure
The composite filling procedure is a relatively simple process that can be completed in a single visit to the dentist. Here's what you can expect:
- Anesthesia: Before the procedure begins, the dentist will numb the area around the tooth with a local anesthetic to ensure that you are comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Removal of decay: The dentist will remove any decay or damage from the tooth using a dental handpiece and special instruments.
- Bonding: The dentist will apply a special bonding agent to the tooth to help the composite material adhere to the tooth.
- Application of composite material: The dentist will apply the composite material to the tooth in layers, using a special light to harden each layer as it is applied.
- Shaping and polishing: Once the composite material is in place, the dentist will shape and polish the filling to match the natural shape of the tooth and ensure a comfortable fit.
Advantages of composite fillings
Composite fillings offer several advantages over traditional amalgam fillings, including:
- Natural-looking results: Composite fillings are matched to the color of your teeth, creating a natural-looking result that blends in with the surrounding teeth.
- Versatility: Composite fillings can be used to repair damage to teeth, fill cavities, and even reshape teeth for cosmetic purposes.
- Durability: Composite fillings are durable and long-lasting, providing a reliable solution for repairing decayed or damaged teeth.
- Non-toxic: Composite fillings are made from non-toxic materials that are safe for use in the mouth.
- Preservation of tooth structure: Composite fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure than traditional amalgam fillings, helping to preserve the natural structure of your teeth.
Dr. Lee places only tooth-colored fillings at our Shoreline office. If you think you need a filling, contact our office today to schedule an appointment.