TMJ Disorder Treatment in Shoreline, WA: Relieving Pain and Restoring Function
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder is a condition that affects the jaw joint and can cause pain, discomfort, and difficulty with jaw movement. If you live in Shoreline, WA, and are experiencing TMJ disorder symptoms, it's important to seek treatment from a qualified dental professional. Read on to learn more about TMJ disorder and how it can be treated.
What is TMJ Disorder?
The temporomandibular joint is a hinge joint that connects the jawbone to the skull. TMJ disorder occurs when the joint becomes damaged, inflamed, or misaligned. Common symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- Pain or tenderness in the jaw joint or muscles
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds when opening or closing the mouth
- Difficulty opening or closing the mouth
- Headaches or earaches
What Causes TMJ Disorder?
There is no single cause of TMJ disorder, but there are several factors that can contribute to its development. These include:
- Trauma to the jaw joint or muscles
- Bruxism (teeth grinding or clenching)
- Malocclusion (poor bite)
- Poor posture
How is TMJ Disorder Treated?
The treatment of TMJ disorder will depend on the severity and underlying cause of the condition. Your dentist will perform a thorough examination and may recommend one or more of the following treatments:
- Self-care: This may include ice packs, soft food diet, avoiding chewing gum, and other habits that may aggravate the jaw joint.
- Medications: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or muscle relaxants may be prescribed to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Oral appliances: A custom-made oral appliance, such as a splint or mouthguard, may be recommended to protect the teeth and reduce clenching or grinding.
- Physical therapy: This may include exercises to strengthen the jaw muscles and improve range of motion.
- Botox injections: Botox can be used to relax the muscles and reduce pain associated with TMJ disorder.
- Surgery: In severe cases, surgery may be required to repair or replace the joint.
Choosing a Qualified Dental Professional
If you are experiencing symptoms of TMJ disorder, it's important to choose a qualified dental professional with experience in the diagnosis and treatment of this condition. Your dentist will perform a thorough examination to determine the underlying cause of your symptoms and recommend the best treatment plan for your individual needs.
TMJ disorder can be a painful and frustrating condition, but with the right treatment, it can be managed effectively. If you live in Shoreline, WA, and are experiencing symptoms of TMJ disorder, seek treatment from a qualified dental professional. With proper care and management, you can relieve pain, restore function, and improve your overall quality of life.