Root Canal Treatment In Shoreline, WA
Everything You Need to Know
Root canal treatment is a dental procedure that is often performed to treat infected or damaged teeth. It is a common procedure that has been used for many years to help patients save their teeth and avoid more extensive dental work.
If you live in Shoreline, WA, and are in need of root canal treatment, you might be wondering what to expect. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the root canal treatment process and what you can expect if you need this procedure.
What is a Root Canal?
A root canal is the space inside the root of a tooth that contains the nerve and blood vessels that keep the tooth alive. When this area becomes infected or damaged, it can cause pain and discomfort.
Root canal treatment is a procedure that involves removing the infected or damaged tissue from the root canal and filling it with a material to prevent further infection. This allows the tooth to be saved and prevents the need for extraction.
When is Root Canal Treatment Necessary?
Root canal treatment is necessary when the tooth's nerve and blood vessels become infected or damaged. This can occur due to a variety of reasons, including:
- Deep decay
- Trauma to the tooth
- Repeated dental procedures on the same tooth
- Cracks or chips in the tooth
If you are experiencing severe tooth pain, sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, swelling, or tenderness in the gums, you may need root canal treatment.
What to Expect During Root Canal Treatment
The root canal treatment process typically involves several steps:
- Evaluation: Your dentist will examine the tooth and take X-rays to determine the extent of the damage.
- Anesthesia: Local anesthesia will be administered to numb the area around the affected tooth.
- Isolation: Your dentist or assistant will place a barrior around your tooth, isolating it for infection control
- Access: Your dentist will create a small opening in the top of the tooth to access the root canal.
- Cleaning: Your dentist will use specialized tools to remove the infected or damaged tissue from the root canal.
- Filling: The root canal will be filled with a material called gutta-percha to prevent further infection.
- Restoration: A dental crown or filling will be placed on the tooth to protect and strengthen it.
After the procedure, you may experience some mild discomfort and sensitivity, which can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers. Your dentist will provide you with instructions for post-treatment care, including how to care for your tooth and when to schedule a follow-up appointment.
Why Choose Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatment is often the best option for saving a damaged or infected tooth. If left untreated, the infection can spread to other teeth and even to other parts of the body, leading to more serious health problems.
By choosing root canal treatment, you can save your tooth and avoid the need for more extensive dental work, such as extraction and tooth replacement.
Root canal treatment is a safe and effective procedure that can save a damaged or infected tooth. If you are experiencing tooth pain or sensitivity, it's important to see your dentist right away to determine if root canal treatment is necessary. Contact our office for your root canal treatment consultation in Shoreline, WA.